Electrician saves two-year old girl's life while carrying out work at home

Posted: 21/06/2017

A Salford family have hailed electrical supervisor Pete Carey as a ‘hero’ after he saved their daughter’s life while carrying out repairs work at their home.

Pete, who works for construction firm ForWorks, was carrying out an audit at the home of Milan Pollak and girlfriend Andrea Balazova in Eccles when their two-year-old daughter Brittney was taken ill.

After finding that the girl had stopped breathing, Pete performed CPR for around three minutes, with ambulance staff confirming that his quick thinking had saved Brittney’s life.

Dad Milan, 22, said he would be forever thankful to Pete for what he did.

“He is a hero,” he said. “Without him I don’t know what would have happened.

“Brittney had a temperature so I took her upstairs and went to get some medicine. When I came back a few seconds later she’d stopped breathing and was turning blue.

“I carried her downstairs and shouted for an ambulance. Pete had just left and came running back in and started to perform CPR. When Brittney came around I couldn’t stop hugging him. The whole family is thankful for what he did.”

Pete, who is from Swinton, had just completed a first aid course run by ForWorks four weeks before the incident, and believes the training was vital in him being able to help Brittney.

He said: “I had just finished helping out a member of staff working at the property and was on my way back to my van. I heard the calls for an ambulance and ran back inside.

“I took the baby and proceeded to do CPR. It felt like forever, but after maybe three minutes she started to breathe again. She took a few deep breaths and started crying. I’ve never been so relieved to hear a baby cry. It’ll certainly be something that sticks with me forever.

“I’d just done a first aid course through ForWorks, which had CPR included in the training. I remembered my training, and tried to keep my composure. I just wanted to keep everyone calm until the ambulance arrived.”

After the ambulance took Brittney to hospital, doctors told the family they suspect Brittney had stopped breathing after having a fit brought on by an infection.

After a night in hospital Brittney is now back at home and has been reunited with her twin sister Jennifer.

Steve Parrington, Managing Director at ForWorks, said: “We are very proud of what Pete did and delighted that Brittney is now feeling much better.

“First aid is a very important part of our training for all our staff. Pete kept a clear head in very difficult circumstance and deserves a huge amount of praise for what he did.”

You can find a short video on Facebook showing the family meeting up with Pete following the incident.

Email to a friend